Thursday, April 5, 2012

Moon Garden Tagaytay: Sanctuary


As I am writing this entry, I am in paradise.   I am not sure if I want to actually post this in my blog because of selfish reasons…  I don’t want to share this little space to other people.

It’s 6PM and the Tagaytay breeze is at it’s naughtiest.  I can hear the crickets and the frogs croaking from the pond around my gazebo.  

If you’re looking for a place where you can just retreat into silence and reflect on things, Moon Garden Tagaytay is the perfect place for you.  



Getting There:  I’ve read several blogs mentioning that they had a hard time looking for Moon Garden, if you/re not familiar with the Tagaytay area, it's a good idea to study their location map beforehand.  Personally though, I didn’t think it was that difficult to find. 
  • Take SLEX and take the Sta. Rosa exit…  just follow the road to Tagaytay.    
  • Turn right at the end of the Sta. Rosa-Tagaytay Road, you will then be on the Tagaytay-Calamba Road.
  • Watch out for the SVD Road, it’s a narrow road to your right, there are no road signs except for a small blue billboard that says “Purok 162”, just before Estancia.
  • Less than 2 minutes into SVD Road, you will see Moon Garden’s sign on your left, take that narrow graveled road, don’t be intimidated, it’s really narrow. 
After stopping at the gas station to fuel up and to check the tires, we left Manila at 1030AM and arrived in Moon Garden at around 12NN.  That was on a Sunday and on a leisurely pace.

I’ve noticed that there were only 2 other vehicles parked when we got there, which I think is a good sign, that means, the place is not full.  There were no signs on where the reception area is so we took the nearest concrete stairs we can find, we mistakenly turned left after the stairs and followed the path leading to one of the casitas.  So after backtracking, we found the main hall, there were no front desk, it was just a common hall where guests usually dine. We were greeted by Bong, whom I’ve communicated with days ago for our reservations. Before leading us to our casitas, he had us choose our breakfast for the following day. 

Food:  We initially planned to have bulalo for lunch at the Mahogany Market but upon seeing the menu, I suggested to stay in Moon Garden and try their food.  That decision actually turned out well.

Lunch: Fish & Chips (P240) and Paksiw na Conchinillo  (P260) both were served with a siding of pickled vegetables.  That was the best fish and chips I've had!

  • Breakfast (Day 2): Homemade Corned Beef and Crispy Adobo Flakes both came as free for the overnight rate that we’ve paid for.  Breakfast was served with a kettle of kapeng barako, their own fruit shake, pickled vegetables and fresh fruits. I love the chunkiness of the homemade corned beef! I don't usually go for fried rice because I'm not a fan of garlic, but the fried rice they served was also really good, I actually finished mine (I usually just eat half a serving).
Accomodation:  This is what actually sold me out to trying Moon Garden.  Their rooms, which are called casitas, are comfortable and spacious.  Casitas are individually scattered in the area which gives guests some privacy.  You have to be intimate to share a casita since the bathroom do not have doors.
  • Queen sized bed, 4 huge soft pillows, soft and comfortable mattress, warm comforter.
  • Ceiling fan. No AC, but with the Tagaytay climate, who needs AC?
  • Cable TV 
  • Cabinets and rustic armoire plus a long table
  • Hot shower
  • Abundant fresh towels
  • Basic soap, shampoo and toilet paper  
  • Their own version of a bay window





Mosquitoes are nasty at night since well... it’s a garden.  If you plan to hang out in one of the gazebos, slather on some repellant and bring a blanket if you can, who know’s you might even fall asleep to the croaking of the frogs and the sweet sound of the crickets.  

Budget:  Now this little vacation cost more than the usual  "weekender" however, it is a worthy splurge. 
  • Gas - PHP1000
  • Toll (Sta. Rosa Exit) - PHP175
  • Casita (overnight w/ free breakfast for two) - PHP3000
  • Lunch - PHP500
  • Coffee (Bag of Beans) - PHP390
  • Dinner - PHP150
  • Toll (Coastal) - PHP24
If you're wondering what we had for dinner...  we went to 711 and bought siopao and a can of pork & beans.

Tips:

  • Make your reservations ahead of time especially if you are going on a weekend, you can email them at moongardentag@gmail.com or send an SMS to Bong at 0939 913 9097.
  • If you prefer to be “alone” I highly recommend going there on weekdays or maybe do a Sunday-Monday like we did.
  • MGT is awesome at night. Despite how tempting it is to stay in bed, I strongly encourage you to explore the garden at night.
  • Get to know the plants and flowers around... including the bugs and the insects.
  • Look for that pretty cat we saw, who stared at me and allowed me to take a picture. 
  • Enjoy the whimsical figurines, statues, and what-nots scattered all over the garden.


If you are looking for activities, there’s none… and that added to the charm.  No pools nor ziplines.  I went there to reflect on what’s happening with my life, read a book, have good conversations… Moon Garden gave me that.  Although I did not go far with the pages of my book because I almost always fall asleep after a few sentences read, the experience brought me to a world where I can say that life is indeed beautiful. 

Yeah, I am posting this entry… to pay it forward. Afterall, they say, happiness comes easily when you give it away.

....
Just before we left we had a chat with Peter, who owns the place, apparently Ayala Land is developing the adjacent lot... which is a shame because it will definitely ruin the view, the silence and the rustic charm of the place.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment